Atomic Energy Board Secretariat
The Director of the National Radiation Protection Authority is the Secretary of the Board and is supported by staff members in the Directorate: Atomic Energy and Radiation Protection, which has two divisions namely the Nuclear Applications Division and National Radiation Protection Authority.
The Division: Nuclear Applications is designated to perform the work of the Board and also to support the Office of the National Liaison of Officer (NLO).
The Secretariat provides support to the Board with respect to
- development of policies for regulatory and promotional work relating to nuclear applications
- drafting of regulatory requirements and standards
- facilitating compliance with international legal instruments;
- drafting the national radiological emergency response and preparedness plan
- establishing the framework for the development of capacity at facility level to ensure compliance with safety objectives
- collection and dissemination of information
- quality management to ensure that the regulatory infrastructure and mechanism performs against pre-defined standards.
The Secretariat also supports the Office of the NLO, which is the Office the Permanent Secretary as the designated focal point of all matters relating to the technical cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). In broad terms this functions entails the integration and effective utilisation of nuclear techniques in the national developmental priorities. As such it calls for dissemination of information, coordinating and advising stakeholders, formulating projects; and overall management of national and regional projects supported by the IAEA.